Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Photo of the Week (2 weeks of catch-up)

I’ve been so busy, I’ve forgotten to update my photo of the week for the past 2 weeks.  So, this time, I found myself playing a lot with my position relative to my subject when using ambient light and using that to control the feel of photos.  These were all shot in a bar mid day, so the light only comes in 1 front window.  I think there can be a lot of darkness and mood using harsh light from 1 direction.  Here are 3 examples, shot with light directly to the side of the subject, to the side at an angle to the subject, and directly behind the subject.

Remember, the only control regarding lighting you have sometimes is where you stand and where you place your subject.  Start looking for where shadows lie in everyday life.  Like paint to a painter, light is a photographers medium, be aware of it!

IMG_2334 2 IMG_2341  IMG_2420

No comments:

Post a Comment