Sunday, April 11, 2010

Outside the photographer – Part I

I recently decided that some of the most important parts of a photographer are outside of ourselves.  Our tools and space play a roll in the work we accomplish.  Obviously our biggest tool is our camera.  Some people have accused me of having a “camera fetish”, but I like having a variety of tools, all of which do different jobs.  I thought it would be fun to share my collection, but mostly this serves as a visual inventory for me.  I recommend writing down everything you own along with sizes of lenses.  This makes it easy to buy filters on a whim and can help you figure out a lot about your equipment.

First, Canon AE-1 Programs (one is on loan from a friend).  I chose to have 2 so I could keep IR film in one.  I have a macro and a telephoto lens for these.  This was my very first camera setup and what I use the most when shooting film.  I also have custom made bags for all my gear.  The pink liner makes it super easy to find black camera gear.

IMG_2367  IMG_2372

Next, my EOS systems. I have a 50D with a fixed 50mm lens, an 18-55 lens and a 28-135 lens with image stabilization.  I also have my old Rebel and an EOS film camera.  I like that this is a versatile system.  I have a backup DSLR in case something goes awry.  I also have the option of shooting film or digital just by switching bodies.  This is super useful for night photography since I can experiment quickly and easily with my DSLR and get instant results, then transfer those settings to my 35mm setup and leave a night shoot knowing I got results.

IMG_2381  IMG_2377

Plastic cameras!  My fiancé's Diana F+ with flash and a poloroid back.  My Diana Mini 35mm, standard Holga with a fisheye lens attachment and a Holga GTLR, which doesn’t really have any more functionality except that it has a glass lens.

IMG_2378 IMG_2399

My fiancé's Yashica Light Meter, which he graciously lets me use all the time.  And a pinhole camera I made out of a matchbook and a lot of electrical tape.

IMG_2376IMG_2390

My newest acquisition, a 4x5 film pinhole camera and a handful of film holders.  This is going to be so fun!

IMG_2412IMG_2414

Finally, tripods, flashes, extension tubes, wired and wireless cable releases, off flash cords, filters, step down rings, telephoto and wide angle lens attachments and a broken canon that was my grandma’s.  I also have my paint can pinhole, which isn’t pictured here, but can be seen in a previous post.

IMG_2370 IMG_2387IMG_2386   IMG_2400

Next time, I’ll talk about one of the more important things outside the photographer, your space.

No comments:

Post a Comment