Monday, April 19, 2010

Upcoming Art Events and Print of the Week

One thing I’ve always disliked about Siskiyou County was the lack of art and culture (compared to what was available to me when I lived in Santa Barbara/Isla Vista).  However, I’m finding that art is out there, you just have to look for it!

For this post, I thought I’d share some upcoming art events that any Siskiyou County locals should take advantage of.  They’re great for seeing local art and growing connections within your art community.

First: The Weed Arts Council Annual Member Show and meeting.  This is this coming Tuesday, April 20th at the Black Butte Center for Railroad Culture at 6pm.  I have 2 pieces that will be in this show, which is exciting for me.  The show also takes place at a site where they are restoring old railroad cars.  I have yet to see the location, but I’m excited to go.  For directions to the location, visit bbcrc.org.

Next: SAC WAC Art Attack.  This is a collaboration between the Weed Arts Council and the Siskiyou Arts Council starting at 4pm at the Black Butte Saloon in Weed.  There will be live music, belly dancing, art and much more.  This event is Sunday, April 25th.

Last: COS Advanced Photography Student Show.  Every year James Gilmore and his Art 11B class get the opportunity to showcase their work at the COS Library gallery.  The show will run from May 3rd to May 16th with an opening reception on May 5th from 4 to 6pm.  This is a fun opportunity to see a collective of work from emerging photographers.

In the meantime, I strongly suggest checking out my links for other local art resources.  Tangle Gallery and Press frequently holds workshops and owner John Rickard also teaches community ed classes at COS.  If you’re a fan on my facebook page, I’ve added both SAC, WAC and Tangle as favorites.  This is in the bar on the right side of the facebook page and I will be adding more as I find them so you can follow them for updates as well!

In other news, I’ll also be featuring a photo of the week to show my readers what I’ve been doing along with a description of the photographic processes behind the print (even if it’s not alternatively processed).  My purpose here has always been to teach people about photography and open new doors, so every photo I share will come with some sort of how to.

This week’s print is from a maternity shoot I did recently.  The print itself is made by sandwiching 2 negatives together before printing in the darkroom.  I love the sentiment, this is one of my favorite recent prints by far.  Enjoy!

001edit

No comments:

Post a Comment